While I know that doesn’t sound like a rousing call to battle, it is this time of year. With the DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME change happening this Saturday night, instead of “springing forward” our clocks like we do in the spring, we get to “fall back” in this fall time-change. That means we can recoup an hour of sleep we lost in the spring…or stay out trick-or-treating an hour longer Saturday night…or show up to church an hour early Sunday morning. Life’s full of tough choices, isn’t it?
Speaking of choices, here are some wonderful ministry opportunities we all get to choose from this week.
- Friday, October 30th—Mosaic is putting on a Harvest Party at the Sister Haven Apartments. If you signed up, see you there. If not, please be praying that we’ll make some great new friends and be a blessing to all the families there.
- Saturday, October 31—Men’s Breakfast will take place at 8:00 a.m. at the HUB. Our brother, Tom Haase, will be talking with us about walking by faith, something that we certainly all need more of if we want to experience more of Jesus.
- Sunday, November 1—Join us for Mosaic Worship at 9:00 and 10:30 a.m. as we continue to study what the Word of God has to say about Christian Citizenship, specifically what private and public economics should look like from God’s perspective. We’ll also get a first-hand report from Jeff Ross of Youth for Christ about the new launch they are making this week in the downtown ministry (our basement). It’s exciting to see what God is doing even in the midst of Covid shutdowns and limitations.
- For the next two Sunday afternoon Leadership Training sessions (4:00-5:30 p.m.), we’ll be learning how to do the Discovery Bible Study (DBS) method of small group Bible study. If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to use this simple yet impactful means of helping others encounter God through Bible study, you’re welcome to join us for these two weeks of training (Nov. 1 & 8).
- Monday, November 2—In anticipation of our national elections on Tuesday, November 3rd, we’re opening up the Mosaic Center for a DAY OF PRAYER & FASTING from 7:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. on Monday. Come enjoy the quiet space or join in with others as we pray fervently for the peace and progress of our nation and this national election. We will close the day with a special prayer service from 7:00-8:00 p.m. Monday evening. (Note: please use the side door by the parking lot, not the front door where Unite Family Services operates.)
- Tuesday, November 3—Don’t forget to VOTE! Exercise your God-given freedoms and steward this immense privilege well. Then obey God whatever the outcome by praying regularly for our elected leaders (I Timothy 2:1-4). God always trumps government for those of us who serve the King of Kings, Jesus.
In about two weeks we’ll be hosting two get-acquainted meetings with local fast-food managers—a light brunch on Wednesday morning, November 11th and an afternoon coffee with snacks on Thursday afternoon, November 12th. If you’d like to help serve those who serve us in the neighborhood restaurants, please let Pastor Bob know (email
) or indicate your interest on the Connect Card on Sundays.
One final opportunity. One of our great single male Moody Aviation students is in need of a room to rent starting December. Luke’s landlady passed away last month and the family is selling the house. So, if you have a room or know of someone who might, please send Luke an email and let him know of the possibility (
As we head into a wild week in the life of our country, ponder the words of the prophet Isaiah, chapter 40, and take comfort in the majesty and power of our God compared to the shifting fortunes of world leaders:
Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
Has it not been told you from the beginning?
Have you not understood since the earth was founded?
22 He [the Lord] sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers.
He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
and spreads them out like a tent to live in.
23 He brings princes to naught
and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing.
24 No sooner are they planted,
no sooner are they sown,
no sooner do they take root in the ground,
than he blows on them and they wither,
and a whirlwind sweeps them away like chaff.
25 “To whom will you compare me?
Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One.
Keep trusting in the Holy One!