Dear Mosaic Family,
It’s not the season for graduations…at least the school kind. But just this past Wednesday night one of own, Rory Ovens, graduated from one of the most challenging programs in life: suffering. At age 57 Rory entered the presence of the Lord he loves after 8 years of battling cancer (64 months of chemotherapy). Our prayers and condolences go out to Rory’s family (wife Tami, kids Andy and Emily). Rory’s memorial service will be Saturday, January 22nd at 2:00pm at Fourth Memorial Church. Thanks for your prayers for the whole family.
As we head into his new year, we’ll be heading into a number of encouraging new things in the next few weeks. As you read about them below, keep your ear tuned to what God might want you to DO in response.
A NEW SUNDAY SERIES for the next 5 weeks will lead us into “FRESH BEGINNINGS” in this fresh year. Through our worship and study of some major themes from Nehemiah, we’ll be seeing how God wants us to connect with Him right where we live. Don’t miss out on what God has to say to you and Mosaic this week as we talk about some aspects of the “spiritual blueprints” God has given to us right now.
NEW GROWTH & OUTREACH OPPORTUNITIES
- A few weeks ago we launched a MEN’S BIBLE STUDY in the Wall St. Apartments just south of us on Tuesday afternoons at 4:30. This study seeks to learn from some of the men of the Bible just what it takes to really be a godly man. Talk with Doug Porter (362-3803) if you’d like to join this great study.
- In two weeks (January 20th) we’ll be starting another BIBLE STUDY OUTREACH at The Cooper-George Retirement Center near Deaconess Hospital on Thursday evenings from 5:45-7:15pm. We’d love to have some of you join that ministry as musicians/song leaders, discussion facilitators, prayer partners and people-lovers. If you are interested in this, please contact Jake Young at 208-290-8905.
- ALPHA IS COMING…AGAIN! In less than a month, you’re invited to check out our next course of Alpha. Alpha is a terrific way to 1.) get better connected to people at Mosaic and, 2.) have a very open, user-friendly event to which you can invite unchurched friends, family and neighbors. Doubts and questions are encouraged! Sunday, February 6th, we’ll be enjoying the INTRODUCTORY DINNER of Alpha at 2nd Space at 5:00pm. We’ll also be holding the course at two different locations this term—Second Space on Sunday nights and an upper South Hill home on Thursday nights.
- ANNUAL MARCH FOR LIFE in Spokane will be held January 23rd from 2-4pm at Fourth Memorial Church, 2000 N. Standard. This is an annual city-wide event put on by Lifeline Ministries of Spokane to help us pray and be challenged to protect the lives of unborn children in our community.
MISSION PARTNERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES: If you were with us last Sunday, you heard about TWO different cross-cultural ministries through which God is answering our prayers about “more laborers for the harvest field.”
- Our “Luz del Manana” NICARAGUA TEAM will be leaving in just a few weeks for 10 days of ministry. Both Michelle Weidemann and Ciara Totton are in need of additional support before they can go. If you would like to invest eternally in their lives and ministry, please designate a special gift to “Agros Team” and get it to us at Mosaic.
- Chad & Amy MacPherson will be heading to China to teach English at the university level in just a few months. If you want to invest eternally in God’s church in China, please contact the MacPhersons directly by email at
SPECIAL PRAYER NEEDS:
- Some of you may remember Heather Higgins, a woman in her 40’s who often attended Mosaic. Heather has been unaccounted for since September 20th when she was reported as a missing person by her family. Please pray for God to reveal Heather’s whereabouts so that her family can find peace.
- We have a new opportunity to minister to our community through Meals-On-Wheels. Please pray that God will form a team of dedicated people if this is the time for us to open our doors in this way to our community. You’ll hear more about this in the days to come but please feel free to talk with Pastor John if you might be interested in spending 4 hours once a week regularly blessing hungry residents of our community downtown.
Have a very blessed and refreshing weekend in our Lord Jesus.